CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

12/11/11

Penzey's Spices ~ Cocoa Snowflakes



Stumble Tumble Tuesday

Cocoa Snowflakes ~ Mmmm Good!

Image for Cocoa Snowflakes (a Penzey's Spices recipe)This last week I went to Penzey's Spices to get fresh spices to make up Soups in a Jar for a gift and spent a little time looking around. They had one of those little recipe card pads put up in the Baking area for Cocoa Snowflakes and I grabbed one. The only thing I had to purchase to make them up is the Cocoa (I used Dutch Processed instead of the Natural Cocoa the recipe calls for) and the powdered sugar. (What am I going to do with a whole bag of powdered sugar? It's going to last me years!)
Anyway, here is one of the 2 Christmas Cookie recipes I'm going to make up this year:

Dutch Chocolate-Cocoa Snowflakes
These were so easy to make. I made these in 2 steps. I used the White-Whole Wheat flour and didn't sift the flour as I don't have a sifter. I would think sifting it would make the cookie lighter.

Dry Ingredients: Sift Together & set aside:
1 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt


Liquids:
Melt 5 Tablespoons butter/margarine on low. Add 1/4 cup (or 6 Tab) of cocoa powder. Stir together. Remove from heat and add 1 cup sugar, put in a large bowl. Stir in 1 Tab Extra Strength Pure Vanilla (I didn't have this and used 2 tsp of regular strength) Add 2 extra large eggs - 1 at a time and mix thoroughly after each. (Before you add the vanilla & eggs you will have a thick paste and it thins up quite a bit after adding the vanilla & egg. )


Combine everything:
Add the chocolate to the dry ingredients (or you can get out another bowl if you'd like per the directions LOL) and mix everything together. It will thicken up after being in the fridge for a while. I used chopped pecans - but you can use almonds, walnuts - whatever your little heart desires.

This makes about 30 cookies. I haven't tried to freeze them -  I'm sure it would freeze fine since you can freeze the Russian TeaBalls. It's a very similar recipe. After baking these will be very soft on the top - let them set up and be sure not to burn the bottoms.

(Note: I purchased a small bottle (1/4 cup) of the Dutch Processed Cocoa and I think next time I'll get the 1/2 cup size instead. 1 recipe takes about 1/4 cup of the cocoa.)

Get The Recipe:
I've added the recipe to my ZipList and all you need to do is add the recipe to your recipe box (it's FREE) or use your smart phone and scan this QR code to add it to your recipe box. Use ZipList to create your grocery list - you can either print it out or access it on your smart phone.

http://zipth.is/@ztpttx


Cocoa Snowflakes (a Penzey's Spices recipe)
Click here for recipe

4 comments:

  1. Chocolate and spice sounds like a great combo to me.

    Gave you a thumbs up via the hop. My post is at http://daybydayinourworld.com/2011/12/holiday-inn-and-white-christmas/ if you've got a moment to return the favor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stumbling from the hop! Would LOVE the stumble thumbs-up back! http://www.mamaluvsbooks.com/2011/12/hot-toys-for-holidays.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those look so delicious!

    I am a stumbling as well. http://feastonfarrago.blogspot.com/2011/12/cup-of-love.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just love chocolate, I'm sure this one tastes awesome!

    I gave you a thumbs up @ SU, please give me the stumble back.

    My post for this week's hop is Pets and laptops contest: win $100. Perhaps you could take a part in the contest as well? ;)

    ReplyDelete

 
Falling Christmas Object Gadget