“The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of His hands. Day after
day they pour forth speech; night after night they display knowledge. There is no speech or
language where their voice is not heard.” Psalm 19:1-3
Nature Explorers: A mini book of Nature Studies through the Holidays
by Cindy West and Melissa Leach
Published by Shining Dawn Books
$5.00 Electronic book
How many of you remember playing outside FOR HOURS? Building forts, climbing trees, running through the fields on grandpa's farm (or your dad's bosses farm like me), riding horses that technically "weren't broke", playing in the hay mow or ice skating on the pond in your boots?
This mini-nature study allows your kids to learn about Advent using carefully chosen scripture verses & a list of suggest hymns you can use during your family time. The unit starts by opening with an explanation of how Advent is celebrated each week includes discussions and ideas for learning about:
Your children will:
1) Learn about Prophecy, Bethlehem, Shepherds & Angels. They will learn about the symbolism inherent in Advent - or if you don't want to focus on Symbolism you can use Advent to discuss concepts such as Peace, Joy & Love which is part of the Christmas season.
2) Observe their surroundings in fields and in the wild, learn about the habitat and what animals eat in the winter.
3) Think about how we show love and concern for animals and our surroundings.
4) Create their own advent wreath and various nature themed crafts for gifts, make Christmas decorations,
5) Experience nature through walks, observing the trees, tame & wild animals, study seeds, berries & nuts, trees and foliage. If you have time you can also study animal tracks, go on a thankful hunt and more.
There is so much that Homeschoolers, teachers, preschools, after school programs can do with a program such as the NaturExplorer curriculum and there are so many different units you can use with your children through out the year. This is a program you can use year after year - you can tweak it to fit the ages of your kids and if you have quite an age span you can have the older kids work with the younger ones in a team building exercise.
To Purchase & a Giveaway!
You can purchase this mini unit for $5 on their website - it's a great way to get to review their curriculum and see it's something you'd like to add to your classrooms, homeschool curriculum, etc! Shining Dawn Books is giving 3 of my readers a copy of the Advent Unit to use with your family, classroom, after school program - where ever you want! I know you are going to be as impressed as I am!